"Well, ain't that a kick in the pants!?!"

Life has been referred to as a roller coaster, a journey, a mystery ... for me, it has been all of those things and more. Not because I've led this ubber interesting life or done amazing things but because I am trying, as hard as I can, to learn. And sometimes, learning something about life isn't easy. Sometimes, it hurts or it's arduous or it even sucks. But I'm thankful to draw breath and continue this trip called life, even if it gives me a kick in the butt at times....



Monday, August 1, 2011

Late Night Chocolate Run

So, I had trouble going to sleep tonight.  I laid in bed, tossing and turning, listening to my husband happily snore and decided to just get out of bed and come up stairs, see what kind of trouble I can get into.  It's not that unusual for me to be awake at 3am in the morning; a little gift from the Night Nurse Fairy.  It's not like I'm not in need of sleep.  Mathematically speaking, I'm way behind on my 12 hours a day of sleep (my personal requirement, don't judge!)  I've just got a lot on my plate right now.  You all can identify, I'm sure.

In my search for something to do, I realized that chocolate would be quite nice about then.  And because I have been banned from grocery shopping, there, of course, is NO chocolate in the house.  Damn!  Ah, but Quick Trip is only blocks away and I knew, from experience, that they have a lovely little treat, chocolate and cakey, just waiting for me to come buy one (or two.)  In my jammies, I slip on shoes and grabbed my husband's keys for the get away.  Now, I can't take my own vehicle because it's in the garage and that would certainly wake my husband up, hearing the garage door open.   Oh, I've thought this through, thoroughly.  The front door is my next big hurdle.  The door is not an easy open.  Frankly, it's comical to watch my 10 year old open it.  She pulls and pulls, leans back and pulls and it finally starts to slip open.  She likely thinks that adults are supposed to open the front door for their little ones as a courtesy as they leave their home but in truth, my husband and I have to open the door because she has trouble getting it open.  Certainly a positive door characteristic to have when she becomes a teen trying to come in after curfew...

I digress... I get through the front door with a mild amount of noise and bound out to the Jeep.  Of course, being 3 am, there was very little going on in the outside world.  My favorite time of day, for sure.  It's so quiet and peaceful.  The birds are sleeping, the neighbor's dog is in the house, traffic sounds and sirens are at a minimum.  There's not much to interrupt a girl on a mission.  The down side, of course, to leaving your home at 3 am without telling your spouse that you're gone is the risk and potential dangers, depending on the area of town you live.  I fee I'm moderately safe, I decide, and the chocolate craving is way stronger than any fear I might have.

I'll spoil the ending right away.  I get the chocolate cake, make it home safely and sit down at my computer with fork and milk in hand to savor my prize.

I am reminded of my other life, the one where three other days a week I am purposefully awake and active at this time of night, taking care of little kiddies as a night nurse.  In total, I have worked nights for 7 1/2 years.  I love working nights for the same reason that leaving the house at 3 am for a chocolate run is enjoyable; it's quiet and peaceful in a hospital at night.  Okay, usually.  I can hear my coworkers booing me now.  "You said the q word!  Now, you're in for it!!"  There isn't the hustle and bustle of a multitude of doctors, med students, student nurses, cleaning staff, visitors, administrators and therapists at night.  There isn't the constant interruptions from the phone ringing every 2-3 minutes, call lights going off.  The demands tend to be less when your patients and their parents are sleeping.

Now, don't get me wrong!  I work for a living and there are more nights than not that I am running my chocolate loving butt off, earning every cent I make.  But even on the busiest nights, the distractions are less and the auditory overload is manageable.  The world is resting and getting refreshed while me and my fellow nurse super hero's watch over and protect your young.  It's not glamorous, the dark circles under our eyes, the coffee breath and energy drinks, frazzled hair dos, puke on our pants and pockets full of alcohol wipes and leaky pens.  

But, to be a night nurse, that person who defies nature's circadian rhythm, takes someone special.  It takes someone with guts to enter a dark room, in the middle of the night and approach a complete stranger with a syringe full of "yummy" tasting medicine, dodge kicking and swinging appendages, convince the assailant to consume the medication and go back to sleep without losing so much as a drop.  It takes someone with unique skills to adapt owl like vision to accurately transcribe vital signs in the dark or neatly perform a complete poopy diaper change without disturbing the sleeping parent in the cot bed near by.  It takes super human will power to keep your eyes open and your mind sharp at 2 am, especially after a cheese burger and fries for "lunch" at 1 am.   It's not easy, but we are a small group of professionals who choose this life, to provide care to the needy during the late night.  Such a great group we are, where I work.  And I savor this piece of chocolate cake, from my late night run, as a tribute to all those night nurses who do what they do!  Show your gratitude to all of your favorite night nurses with chocolate, a hug or even just a thank you!  They will surely appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment